Tuesday, November 5, 2013

For the Fans at Ayer Shirley Regional



My sister, Jean Shiely, is a schoolteacher in Mass.  When I graduated from UVM in 99 I was a bit aimless and unsure of what to do.  She convinced me to teach middle school with her in Boston, which I did for a year.  This led me work at Okemo Mt School the following year which was the genesis of my coaching career.  
Financially thankless, yet personally fulfilling, teaching and coaching have taken me across the globe and connected me for life to some amazing youth.  My partner in Kirk's Camp, Chris Waker, is one of my closest friends and one of the early athletes I coached.  When Jean suggested that we work on a project together I jumped at the opportunity.
Mrs. Shiely currently works at Ayer Shirley Regional School in Massachusetts.  Two of her classes will be following the adventures of Kirk's Camp, focusing on the aspects of geography, history, and participation in professional sports.  Should any of the riders make the Olympic Games, the curriculum will be quite enhanced.  




The students will not just follow our progress, but interact with my riders through letters and social media.  We filmed an introductory video over the past few days to get the ball rolling.  The KC Team is not fully assembled yet, but those with me were eager to participate and stoke out the MA youth.

5 comments:

  1. Geography G says, "Good luck in Dachstein. Don't eat too much Vienner Schnitzle!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wiener Schnitzle--whoops!

      Delete
    2. Haha, we eat Schnitzle every day! Mit pommes (french fries). Danke!

      Delete
  2. Geography B says, "Good luck tomorrow. Try your best, and don't quit. Stay safe, and keep us updated!"

    ReplyDelete